Thursday, January 6, 2011

Well, yesterday could have been better. Lee called me at 6 or so in the evening and I didn't answer him. I later called him and explained that when he called I was driving through Montgomery, Alabama in the mist and fog and dark. Prior to that I had spent most of the afternoon driving in the fog and mist and construction. Prior to that I was driving in haze and construction. I sort of had to keep going because I had a reservation in Troy. It was a nice hotel but I just didn't want to take the time to get the password, etc. for the internet. As I drove through a lot of Alabama, my mind flashed back to the news during the 60's. Selma, Montgomery, and Meridian were all in the news a lot then. I saw Medger Evers memorial interchange as well as Rosa Parks street. Of course I've seen several MLK streets. I remember trying to figure out why black people were judged by the color of their skin at that time, and I still haven't figured it out!

I did figure out that there are two advantages to being in Iowa in the winter. One is that there is no road construction there and the other is that there are no flies. I was at a drive-up window and one flew in my window yesterday! I'll still take the road construction and flies over ice and snow and cold!

Today was a very good day. I had the van serviced and they didn't try to rip me off. When I headed south on I75 in Florida, I really felt like I was headed home. I saw cars from 22 different states and Quebec and Ontario on that strip of Interstate. Many of them looked like they were doing the same thing as I was - headed south for the winter. I would say that about a third of the cars were out of state.

I'm now in the same room as I was in last year and it really feels like home. I haven't had my winter coat on since Tuesday morning when I left Jodi's house! I have two concerts to go to tomorrow and one each on Saturday and Sunday.

Gas is higher in Florida than any place else on my trip so far. I paid $3.17 this morning. I did notice one place somewhere had E85 and it was about 50 cents cheaper than their regular.

Have a nice day!

2 comments:

  1. I just CANNOT believe this "coat off" thing! That is unheard of! Just kidding. I thought maybe you just might luck out and get into the campground you had looked at last year. Become a pest! Maybe they will be like the woman in the Bible who kept "bugging" the judge and they will find you a place -- at least i hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I don't understand why people are judged by the color of their skin.
    You're in the same room as last year? Wow, that's crazy!

    ReplyDelete