Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I forgot to tell you about Taranda's shoes last night. They were silver metalic platform heels. But they also had a band about 3 inches wide that went loosely around each ankle. Quite unique!

Also I forgot to tell you that the chapel yesterday had Randy Perry and his wife. I'm sure he is shorter than I am! Of course so is Libby. Today chapel was Jerry and Jan Goff and they were good too.

At noon they had a dessert buffet in honor of the Blackwoods, particularly James. It was 8 years ago today that he went to heaven. Last year they honored Polly Perry. The Blackwood quartet was greeting people at the door and I told Jimmie this story. I don't know if I've told it to you or not. After Dad died I just wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to go to another Southern Gospel concert or not, but the Blackwoods were at Berean AG in Pleasant Hill in late March or early April and I decided to try it. That was when I found out I could do it and it really meant a lot to me.

After everyone was through the receiving line they had a few people say things about the Blackwoods and Jimmie spoke too. He was telling about how funny his dad was off stage and at home. He also told about a little lady from Iowa who told him today about going to a concert after her husband had died and how it had helped her! That's what it's all about. Since it was the anniversary of James going to heaven it was hard for him to talk about it. I saw a side of him I hadn't seen before. Very strong and sincere Christian.

This afternoon the matinee had the Blackwoods and the Dixie Echos. They each sang separately for 45 minutes or so and then they sang together. It was a vintage quartet special so they just sang around two big mikes like they used to use. Recently the Blackwoods baritone/piano player decided to go solo so they had to find new ones. The baritone is Jimmie's younger brother, Billie, and he is good and sort of a clown. He is very short and the bass singer is about 6 or 8 inches taller than him, so they had a game of moving their mike up and down. They had a guy playing piano for them just today that I'm guessing may stay with them. Of course Stuart Varnado was with the Dixie Echos.

The Brown's served the buffet so I talked to them a little. Tonight it's Gold City, Jeff and Sheri Easter, Blackwood Brothers, and the Browns. Jeff and Sheri are going to have a 16 year old guy with them that has been with Bill Gaither lately that is supposed to be very good.

Have a nice day and stay warm!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog. I like to read your writing even though I don't know the people you're talking about. It is a softer side of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean I was always a mean, hard Mom?

    ReplyDelete