Friday, January 8, 2010

Well, Wednesday I had a new experience. I was at a stop light and a lady came over to the window and said something. I couldn't hear her, so I just shook my head and she left. Funny she didn't approach the vehicle in front of me or behind me. Could it have been because they both had Florida plates!? As a matter of fact I still haven't seen another Iowa plate since the girls went home. I've seen New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee, Georgia and Missouri at least.

The weather here is very adversely affecting the citrus crop and strawberry crop and tropical fish growers. The tropical fish growers have been able to get about 10% inside and the rest they run well water over. It is 72 degrees so it warms the water some. They could loose a lot even after it gets warmer because of a disease they get when they get too cold. I don't know how warm they need to stay but I assume since they are "tropical" that means they need to be quite warm.

I haven't heard a lot about what they do for the strawberry crop, but this is the main area for them. I also haven't seen any growing.

The citrus are helped by spraying them with water and letting it freeze on them. That insulates the fruit so it doesn't get as cold as the temperature. On the trunks of the trees it does the same thing. If it doesn't stay in the 20's for too many hours that works. Also the cold weather makes the fruit sweeter and keeps the trees from budding again too soon.

I have found southern gospel concerts on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays in the mornings in Orlando, Bradenton, Lakeland, and St. Petersburg. Some have breakfast with them, some coffee time, and one even has a potluck after the concert. Some of the Friday night concerts here in Lakeland have a meal before them too. Last week I went to an after concert fellowship with sundaes.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this or not, but I'm less than a mile from Cracker Barrell!

Have a nice day and try to stay warm. Saturday it's only supposed to get to 41 but by the end of next week it's supposed to be back to near 70. People really complain about 40's and 50's here!

2 comments:

  1. I recall when I still lived in Iowa, I went to Florida in 1978, they were having a cold wave (40 degrees). The waitresses were wearing parkas and gloves in the restaurants. I was in short sleeved t-shirts.

    If I knew you were so fond of Cracker Barrel, I would taken you there instead of Olive Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn is keeping good track on you. Sounds like you made wise move on the lady at your window. I have friend in Clearwater who was robbed within her gated community. Stay wise. Glad you are enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete