Saturday, November 23, 2013

Okay, I had two paragraphs written and it jumped to another page that I hadn't even seen before.  I'll try again.  I thought I had already written since I had arrived here, but I guess not.

I arrived here about 11:45 on November 12.  By 12:00 I was on my way with some others to Plant City to ABC Pizza.  They have AYCE spaghetti on Monday and Tuesdays.  I don't care for restaurant spaghetti usually, so I got a large pizza and ate one piece of it and put the rest in my freezer.  I didn't see anyone get seconds on spaghetti since the portions are so huge.

The apartment complex I live in has 40 units - 20 up and 20 down.  It's on the Florida Holiness Association campground.  There are also dormitories (some with heat and AC and some without) and a campground.  Most of the campers are permanent, but they can only live in them during the winter.  I can be here November 1 though March 31 and have to pay rent for all those months whether I'm here or not.  The rest of the year it is closed.  My complex has laundry facilities, a game room, and a puzzle room. 

Now I'll tell about some of the residents.  The man two doors down from me is 80 and has outlived 2 wives.  This morning I saw him out hanging up laundry!  He golfs almost everyday and goes to the game room at night.  He's from North Carolina and is Troy.

The couple next to me is new this year and they are from Ohio.  The man is just like a neighbor of ours when we farmed.  He has to be moving all the time.  This morning he was out pulling weeds.  I call him by the name of the man at home whose initials are SK.   You kids will know who that is.  They are Leroy and Marilyn.  She goes to the puzzle room a lot.  He roams looking for something to do or eat.  He evidentally burns it all off.  He also goes to the game room some.

The lady on the other side of me is from Pennsylvania and was here two years ago and is now back. 
Her name is Carol.  She goes to the game room most nights and has outlived two husbands.   She worked for a school district and was in charge of payroll.

Elmo lives upstairs and is from Ontario about 50 miles north of the Minnesota/North Dakota border.  He also golfs most days and goes to the game room most evenings.  He also plays guitar and helps with Monday evening prayer/praise time.  He's 82 and takes the stairs 2 at a time sometimes.  In Canada he golfs 5 days a week.  His wife has been gone 18 years.  He was in sales.

Howard and Joyce live downstairs and are from Ohio, I think.  They are the assistant host and hostess so sometimes they help out with miscellaneous things.  They both go to the game room in the evening and she goes to the puzzle room in the daytime.  I think he is 74.  Joyce also helps with Prayer an Praise on Monday evenings.

Tom and Lois live upstairs and are from Pennsylvania.  He's a retired trooper.  She goes to the puzzle room and game room.  He goes to the game room and is an avid reader.  You seldom see him without his Kindle. 

Ella just arrived for the first time yesterday and is from Michigan, I think.  Her husband has been gone 17 years.  I can't imagine that.  Seven years is way too long for me!

There's another new couple this year whose names I can't remember.  I also can't remember where they're from.  They live upstairs and she goes to the puzzle room.  He had heart surgery in July and is still doing therapy from it. 

Wayne is from Canada and lives upstairs.  He's divorced and goes to the game room most evenings and golfs some days. 

Harlan and his wife have been coming here for many years and at one time lived in Lakeland.  I don't remember where they're from.  She goes to the puzzle room a lot.  He is very large and she is small.  He was a trucker and she did office work. 

Carolyn is on the ground floor and I don't remember where she's from.  Her husband died late this past summer.  He was in charge of Prayer and Praise time and was a retired pastor. 

I don't know where Jane is from, but she lives on the ground floor also.  I think her husband has been gone quite a while.  She goes to the game room a lot and also is trying to be helpful to Carolyn.

There are a few others here, but I don't really know them because they don't go to the game room.  When everyone is here the building will be about 40% Canadian.  They are mostly from Ontario.  In fact a high percent of non Florida license plates are from either Ontario or Michigan here in Lakeland.

Tonight is the first of the season at Lake Gibson church.  It is the Talley's and will be streamed live.  The web address is www.lakegibsonchurch.com.  It starts at 6 EST and will probably come on line 15 minutes or so early.  Check it out. 

It's been in the 70's and 80's since I got here, but tomorrow and Monday it's supposed to only be in the 60's and rainy.  Now, let's see if I can get this to post.








  

No comments:

Post a Comment