Monday, February 28, 2011

I see that it's been 20 days since I last blogged, so it must be time to do it again. One of the neat things about seeing all these groups is that I get to see a lot of composers of famous music. For instance, I saw the original Couriers. They have been singing together with the same 3 men for 50 years. One of them is the composer of "The Lighthouse." Among other groups who sang that were the Smiley's. I don't remember how many songs he has composed, but you can imagine that in 50 years it's been a lot. One of the ones he's composed recently that I think might become quite well known is called, "The Next Time I Get Married, I'm going to Be the Groom." It, of course, is about the marriage of the church and the lamb.

The Collingsworths were here this weekend and they were excellent. We also had a pianist from Denver Sunday night who was quite good and refreshing. He worked for Denver First Church of the Nazarene for 35 years before going on the solo circuit.

The weather has been great the past week or so. It's been in the 80's every day. Of couse it's still cold in the sanctuary of the church!

Last Wednesday we had 4 missionaries. Two were from Argentina and their daughter and her husband are going to Papau, New Guinea. Their presentation was quite unique.

Last Thursday I picked up Margee and Ward in Sanford and we went to see the shuttle go up. That was a very neat experience. When I saw John Glenn go into orbit, I never dreamed of all that was to come with the space program. I certainly didn't think I'd ever see anything go up to go into space. In fact I remember wondering if John Glenn would actually come down!

Saturday I took Margee and Ward to their cruise ship and Saturday I will pick them up and take them to their motel again. Then they'll fly home on Sunday.

I talked to some people from New Hampshire Saturday. That was the first time I'd talked to anyone from there. I also talked to a banker's wife from Michigan. He is on the national board of a group of community banks and often goes to Washington, D.C. for meetings. She said it isn't as much fun as it was a few years back, but she's hopeful that it will get better.

Have a good day/evening!

1 comment:

  1. Just now reading your latest blog entry. You are indeed blessed to meet up with those folks--singers, writers, etc. I'm going to guess that pianist from Denver was a guy by the name of Jerry Nelson (I think). We heard him several years ago when a bunch of us Osky Naz ladies went to Denver First for their Women's Conference and he was there then. Wrote a lot of the music he played, etc. I'm sure he was still very good.

    ReplyDelete